No window-manager! (g-0.30.1)

The race for gnome-2.6 continues.  Yesterday evening I logged in to a
gnome-2.6 session via dtlogin, only to find that:

a) It took ages (3minuters) before the mirrorballs where gone.
b) Metacity didn't show up anywhere?!?  I opened up a xterm and started
metacity from there, but still no windowmanager in sigth (but metacity was
running in the background).
c) I couldn't change any themes/windowmanager-settings in preferences.

In the Xinitrc.Gnome-2.6 file, I have PYTHONPATH set, XDG... set, GDK_... set
etc.
I've installed the two new things in bootstrap (hicolor & shared-mime).

The gnome binaries are not installed as root, but as the user who have built
them (schitzo me) but I'm testing them as another user ("g26" :) since I
already have a rock-steady gnome-2.4 installation. The g26 account hasn't been
used before.

Solaris 9 x86 with XFree-4.3.0, gcc-3.3.2

Ideas?