How to start Garnome? :-s

Hey all,

I've been watching Garnome build and compile stuff all day, so when most
of the things I wanted were done, I was looking forward to behold the
beauty of Gnome 2.5.4.

However, I can't seem to get it to start. :-s It's the exact same
problem as I had yesterday, when I abused the testuser I created for
the purpose with Konstruct to get KDE 3.2.

Basically, I don't know why it won't work. I'm running a mostly default
Debian sid, and I use gdm as my display manager. The Garnome README has
quite specific instructions on how to start up Garnome (Konstruct
didn't), so I did what I was told: wrote a file containing the few
environment variables (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and such) and as its last
line "exec /home/testuser/garnome/bin/gnome-session".

When I log out and try to login choosing "Xsession", I just get an
xterm-like rectangle in the upper left corner of my screen, which
appears to be this "xsm"-thingy mentioned in /etc/gdm/Sessions/Xsession.
I don't think I should get to that point, but when I try to manually
start ./garnome/bin/gnome-session, I'm told I "already have a session
manager running".

With problem, I got to the same point, but then trying to run startkde
manually resulted in getting plain KDE 3.1.5 instead of KDE 3.2.

So I wonder: how can I have this new user starting a desktop environment
properly compiled and installed in his own home directory?

A little frustrated,
greets,
Tom

--
"Mongolian drivers do not care much about pedestrians."