Unable to start Garnome

Hi,

I am unable to start Garnome (2.5.92). On logging into gdm, it simply dies out, bringing me back to the login screen. There are no error messages in /var/log/user.log except that gconfd received signal 15 and that it is exiting (there was a message about libbonobo-activation-server which disappeared after I added libexec to the path, though).

I have complied garnome using both gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.3.2. There were issues compilng epiphany ( http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32519#32519). As a workaround, I have removed the epiphany directory from garnome-2.5.92/desktop so that the compilation moves forward and completes (I had to do some minor tweaks to the various Makefiles [to set the correct location of the X11 libraries, add -lncurses to the cc command, etc.]).

BTW, this is the script I have used for starting garnome:
---------------------------
#!/bin/sh
GARNOME=/home/rajesh/garnome
PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$GARNOME/libexec:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.2/site-packages
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
GDK_USE_XFT=1
XDG_DATA_DIRS=$GARNOME/share
export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH GDK_USE_XFT XDG_DATA_DIRS
exec $GARNOME/bin/gnome-session
This script is present in /etc/gdm/Sessions

I am running Debian Woody 3.0r1. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Rajesh Jayaprakash