fontconfig problem on redhat 9

I tried to install garnome-2.5.92 on redhat 9 but I have problems. Following
the instructions I do:

cd desktop
make paranoid-install

but it fails with with a message that the fontconfig package is missing
though it is installed (I have fontconfig-2.2.1-8.1). Any idea? The error
message is:

checking for some Win32 platform... no
checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... perl
checking for X... no
configure: WARNING: X development libraries not found
checking for fontconfig >= 1.0.1... Package fontconfig was not found in the
pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
No package 'fontconfig' found
configure: WARNING: No fontconfig found, skipping tests for FreeType and Xft
configure: error: *** Didn't find any of FreeType, X11, or Win32.
*** Must have at least one backend to build Pango.
make[7]: *** [configure-work/main.d/pango-1.4.0/configure] Error 1

Regards,
        Juan