Re: Problem when trying to run GNOME from Jeff's Garnome archive.

At 09:32 PM 6/04/2004, Julio Biason wrote:
Luke Yelavich wrote:
I am wondering if anybody has experienced a similar problem. I have successfully compiled GNOME with Jeff's archive, but whenever I try to run GNOME either from GDM, or from my .xinitrc with startx, I get the following message: gnome-session: relocation error: /opt/gnome-2.6/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_class_add_private I am running Slackware 9.1 with kernel 2.6.5. I got the same problem when I originally updated Garnome myself, but wanted to try Jeff's archive thinking that may have had an update that I didn't include. I have added /opt/gnome-2.6/lib to my /etc/ld.so.conf file, and run ldconfig. I have also included /opt/gnome-2.6/bin in my path.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

I had the same problem (basicly, I was doing *exactly* what you did) :).

The problem is that 'elflibs', for some reason, also has some glib libs. I just removed /usr/lib/libglib*, /usr/lib/libgobject* and /usr/lib/libgthread* and recompiled gtk. Everything seems to be working now.

Also, remove the glib2 and gtk+2 packages.

Thank you VERY much. I am doing yet another re-compile, but did what you suggested before starting. I hadn't installed any gtk or glib packages from Slackware, but those files you pointed out were there.

I will let you know if it worked tomorrow morning once the compile has finished overnight.

Luke