Re: Debian Sid/Unstable Prerequisites

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:

> <quote who="Kevin C. Krinke">
> > libgnome-desktop-dev
>
> What did you need this for?

There's a bug in
contol-center-2.4.0/gnome-settings-daemon/Makefile.am.  It only bites
if you have Gnome libraries installed in /usr/lib, so if you use only
Garnome and have no other Gnome installation you won't see it.  The
libraries are listed in the wrong order in
gnome_settings_daemon_LDADD.  This causes libtool to look in /usr/lib
before ~/garnome/lib for some .la files.  This will fail
("/usr/lib/libglade-2.la notfound", etc. for about 3 other libraries)
if you have Gnome libraries in /usr/lib and you haven't installed the
-dev library packages.

It was reported in bugzilla a few days ago in bug 121607 which
includes a simple patch.  (The patch should make libgnome-desktop-dev
unecessary to install Garnome.  I didn't need it.)  The reporter
speculates that other Gnome projects may have the same makefile
library order problem, but this is the only place I saw it happen when
building Garnome 0.27.1.  Of course this problem could crop up again
almost anywhere at any time.