Re: Should GARNOME always build Mozilla?

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 04:30, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for some input into the future of Mozilla in GARNOME. At the
> moment, GARNOME builds Mozilla by default, as a requirement of Epiphany.
>
> It is only truly useful on platforms that don't have a recent Mozilla, and
> when you're using a different compiler to your distro's default (C++ ABI
> issues, etc). Most platforms now have a sane default gcc, and a reasonable
> version of Mozilla (1.4), so it's a bit of a waste of time for the common
> case.
>
> A quick and easy fix for this is to remove the dependency on the mozilla
> garball, and default to building against your distro Mozilla. The garball
> can stay for people who want to use it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Jeff

I vote for Mozilla to stay as default for pretty well much the same
reasons as Cedric Marcone and John Hornbeck have already mentioned.

If the builder doesn't want to build it they can comment it out
themselves. GARNOME is for those that want to live on the edge and don't
mind long builds (or have a distcc environment).

PS Jeff: I listened to your talk yesterday and enjoyed it very much.
Thanks for all your hard work on the Release Team and I for one am glad
you're conducting things the way you are. The HIG _is_ important! Keep
it up!

Cheers!
--
Kevin C. Krinke <kckrinke opendoorsoftware com>
Open Door Software Inc.