compile error on gnome-vfs-extras with libsmbclient

Downloaded and attempting to build the latest garnome-0.26.1 on a Red Hat 9
system.

Got to the point in the script where it downloaded
"gnome-vfs-extras-0.99.11.tar.bz2" and then it proceeded to run a configure.
During the configure of gnome-vfs-extras-0.99.11, got this error:

checking libsmbclient.h usability... no
checking libsmbclient.h presence... no
checking for libsmbclient.h... no
configure: error: libsmbclient is required

Now, I don't have the Red Hat SMB packages installed on my system.  I did it
this way on purpose, since I chose to download and build the source
samba-2.0.0rc1 instead.  My system is working just fine as far as samba
goes.  So why didn't garnome detect samba-3.0.0rc1 on my system?

Thanks for any help!