Grandr and libs problems

Regarding this post
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2003-July/msg00358.html on listing
lib symbols using nm.
I have the same problem (grandr_applet-0.2) won't compile because it says
XRRSetScreenConfigAndRate is not defined. I have all the stuff. (btw, I am using
RH9, gcc-3.2.2-5, XFree86-4.3.0-2, devel & libs)

When I go to /usr/XllR6/libs and do
nm libXrandr.so | grep "XRRSetScreenAndConfigRate" i get
nm: libXrandr.so: no symbols

however, when i type nm libXrandr.a | grep "XRRSetScreenConfigAndRate" i get
00000de0 T XRRSetScreenConfigAndRate

So what is the deal? What is set up wrong? (I'm pretty much a toddler in the
woods) I thought I had a pretty standard install of Redhat. If anyone can help
me, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Ben