From: garnome-list-admin gnome org [mailto:garnome-list-admin gnome org] On
Behalf Of Marcin Kowalski
Sent: Dienstag, 25. November 2003 10:37
To: garnome-list gnome org
Subject: Re: PowerTools DISASTER....and pain.

Why is this completely evil piece of software in the public domain at all (I
know it isn't public public, but still)
I'm all for user based testing but this is completely ridiculous, to
actually delete filesystem files - is their a greater evil ? It's like
releasing a piece of code that does a rm -rf on your fielsystem and then
saying it was only a pre-release... NO Excuse really.

I can't think of many viruses that do such a thing, and this is supposed to
be a tool ...
Obviously I am deeply scarred.

btw, all I get with R-Linux is a whole bunch of inode files, which I would
now have to link together... does anyone have any advice regarding FS
recovery....

Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

DO NOT USE Powertools - here is my sad tale :

s/Powertools/gnome-system-tools/ I think.

Woa - after three days of compilation (including dependency

tracking

and
general mayhem) I finally got 0.27.1 compiled and running on an old
PII-233(256mb RAM) - Redhat 8.0...

You need to report this to the gnome-system-tools
maintainers, so no one else suffers the same fate.

Also, the latest version is 0.29. An earlier version of gnome-system-tools
also destroyed my Red Hat network settings (I had backed them up manually,
so I could get the files back again, and gnome-system-tools apparently does
that.) I reported it. Apparently it was fixed.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net

--
Marcin Kowalski
Perl Developer / Unix Administrator

t: 0870 20 20 121
f: 0870 20 20 131
www.thehotgroup.com

hotrecruit.com, planetrecruit.com, jobtrack.co.uk, jobsearch.co.uk and
jobsin.co.uk are brands of hotonline ltd, a subsidiary of the hotgroup plc

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only. It may contain
privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed to anyone other
than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to preserve this
confidentiality and to advise us of any errors in transmission. Thank you.