Re: xrendering

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Georg Kellerer wrote:

> download problem with the xrendering package which could not be found on the
> server.

Some of the tarballs at freedesktop.org have moved.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/garnome-list/2003-October/msg00099.html

[accessibility]

> Is this feature switched on in garnome and if nothow could i use it?

Not right away.  You (or somebody else) has to switch the accessibility
features on individually that you want.  You will have to exit and restart
Gnome for the most interesting of them to work.

The only ones I personally use are the mouse keys (so I can use the
numeric keypad to control the mouse).

For visually impaired users, Gnome 2.4 can use speech, braille, and/or
screen magnification and special high contrast themes (or even
low-contrast themes if too much light hurts your eyes).

The Braille support seems to work with 5 different Baum devices, 3
different Alvabraille devices and one thing called "Brltty's BrlAPI".

I have no idea how it works in practice -- my only visual impairment is
myopia and my glasses correct well enough for that.

As to the speech, I got a crash when I tried it.  Maybe it would work if I
exited and reentered Gnome.

If you are very adventurous, you can try jhbuild to build from CVS instead
of from the 2.4 tarballs.  I think it is possible to get a basic desktop
working with garnome and then rebuild specific components with jhbuild.

Good luck!

-Peter