Re: 0.24.2, gtksourceview

On Saturday 10 May 2003 01:50, Anders Johansson wrote:
> gtksourcestylescheme.c:339: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
> break strict-aliasing rules

Update to this

I just tried compiling from CVS using the jhbuild scripts. There are a *ton*
of these errors. Basically, every time you do

(foo *) &bar

an error about type-punning is generated. Adding a temp variable like

gpointer *ptr_to_bar = &bar;

and replacing the first use with (foo *) ptr_to_bar, and the error goes away.

Most of these are bypassed when compiling garnome. In jhbuild I didn't get
past gnome-vfs, there were so many of these errors.

I didn't think that was what type-punning was all about. I understood it to be
when you had two variables occupying the same memory space in a union. Is
this a bug in the compiler?