Re: Which RH80. Package Contains libbz2?

On Sat, 3 May 2003, John J. Boyer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Many thanks to those who answered my previous question. Now here  are two
> more.
>
> When I run make install on meta/gonoe-desktop it goes fine for a while,
> and then quits saying that it needs libbz2 to compile gnome-vfs. I have
> RedHat 8.0. Where do I find the RPM with this library on the install CDs?
>
> 2. How can I find the answer to similar questions in the future without
> asking the list?
>
> Thanks,
> John
>

> --
> Computers to Help People, Inc.
> http://www.chpi.org
> 825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703

Most likely you have libbz2 installed (it is required for bzip2), but most distributions seperate the library (needed for applications to work) and the header files (need to compile programs).  The naming convention seems to be

library:  <library>-<version>-<packagevers>.rpm
includes: <library>-devel-<version>-<packagevers>.rpm

You can also find what rpm a particuler file belongs to using the rpm command

[cowens Ophidia]$ slocate libbz2
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.1
/usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0.0
[cowens Ophidia]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1
libbzip2_1-1.0.2-13mdk

So the rpm for the include files would be

libbzip2_1-devel-1.0.2-13mdk.rpm

Of course this is for a Mandrake 9.1 box not a RedHat 8.0, but you can repeat the steps above to find out which rpm provides the library for you.