gnome text display

Hello,
I recently screwed up my original gnome 2.0 installation again and was unable to fix it, so I tried out garnome.  It compiled with a few bumps but works, however when I start up gnome, there's no text in any of the Gnome-specific interfaces.
Mozilla, Evolution, Gaim, and such applications work fine, and I can see text, but the menu, nautilus, gedit and such don't have any text at all.  Imagine typing into the gedit and seeing nothing.

Perhaps I screwed up something in the garnome compile?
--
Alex Lee <al284 cornell edu>
Cornell University