Error during build of gtk+

I ran into a problem during the build of gtk+ and was surprised not to
find it mentioned on the garnome list archives anywhere (at least my
search didn't turn up anything).  When I re-run make install from
meta/gnome-desktop, The following is the error I get:
[===== NOW BUILDING:    gtk+-2.2.1      =====]
        [fetch] complete for gtk+.
        [checksum] complete for gtk+.
        [extract] complete for gtk+.
        [patch] complete for gtk+.
        [configure] complete for gtk+.
        [build] complete for gtk+.
/bin/sh: line 1: /u/ma/newren/garnome/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders: No
such file or directory

Digging into the problem, I find that the offending line is one that
reads:

/u/ma/newren/garnome/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders >
/u/ma/newren/garnome/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

And it's probelmatic because:

1011 newren amr:~$ ls /u/ma/newren/garnome/etc/
fonts/  pango/

A simple 'mkdir /u/ma/newren/garnome/etc/gtk-2.0' fixed the problem and
allowed the compilation to continue.  Now, did I set something up
wrong?  Am I the only one that has been affected by this problem?

Thanks,
Elijah
Elijah Newren
Internet: http://www.math.utah.edu/~newren   newren math utah edu
Tired of pop-up webpages when surfing the internet?  Look at
   http://www.math.utah.edu/~newren/noPopUps.html
for how to get rid of them without spending a penny.