XFree86 4.3 and already installed packages (was Re: Xfree 4.3 = no need for Xft, Xft1, Xrender, and fontconfig packages)

Ryan, Jeff,
It still seems to me that XFree86 4.3.0 doesn't include the Owen Taylor's patch.

Yes, it seems reasonable to expect that whoever runs XFree86 4.3.0 has already properly configured fontconfig and Xft, but it might not be so if (s)he is using only non-Xft apps.

So, one might still encounter the GARNOME fontconfig FAQ, even with a properly installed XFree86 4.3.0. At least, loading of my GARNOME failed when I first installed XFree86 4.3.0 from source, so I replaced the library libfontconfig.* with the ones compiled with GARNOME. Of course, this is a problem since I insist on not running fc-cache as root, and having a load of fonts.cache-1 files around several directories (I tend to update the system directories with new fonts once in a while).

And of course, it's quite unreasonable to expect that everyone is running XFree86 4.3.0.

But, I'd like to propose another solution to this and some other problems.

Would it make sense to have a target in GARNOME that would generate "cookies" based on the pkg-config reports? For instance, "make checkstatus" in a misc/fontconfig would check with pkg-config if current fontconfig-$GARVERSION is installed, and if it is, generate "cookies/*", so as not to install it again when it comes to it through some dependencies.

I think this would be the step toward the general-use GARNOME, even though it's "for testers and tweakers" (or at least I remeber Jeff saying so in the good [not so] ol' days ;).

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Danilo