[Slightly OT] Nautilus previewing/thumbnailing text files

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I was curious, and tried searching
through the nautilus list web archive and couldn't find what I wanted to
know.

When did nautilus lose the ability to thumbnail text files, so that when
you zoomed in you saw more of the file's contents? (This is in garnome
0.21.2.) I admittedly hardly ever used this feature, which is why I've
only just noticed that it's gone, but when I did need need it (like just
now, looking for a config option in /etc) I found it really useful -
i.e. you know roughly what you're looking for, but not precisely enough
for a grep, so you just start browsing with the zoom whacked up high. Is
it ever coming back?

Best, D

P.S. I really like nautilus' thumbnailing, but it would be useful to use
alpha transparency to overlay the icon too - sometimes you might have
the same picture in both png and jpg format and want to be able to tell
more quickly than by looking at the file extension which you're looking
at. Is that planned at all?

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com           www.dzr-web.com