Re: problems with starting garnome 0.24.2

Kjell M. Myksvoll wrote:

 Could not resolve the address "xml:readonly:/gconf.xml.mandatory" in
 the configuration file
 "/usr/local/hacks/garnome/etc/gconf/2/path":Failed:
 Could not make directory '/gconf.xml.mandatory': Permission denied

This is problem old several centuries, either check the mailing archives (it was present even in pre-0.20 garnome, as far as my memory serves), or just edit that file /usr/local/hacks/garnome/etc/gconf/2/path and comment out the lines which reference absolute paths /gconf* (it actually uses absolute paths, so this would try to use directory gconf.xml.mandatory in your root directory).

On the locking issues, it seems as if you're running the multiple Gnome desktops with the same user -- I'd suggest creating a new user with read/execute permissions for /usr/local/hacks/garnome and trying Gnome with that, eg. a session that looks like

login: gnome2
password:
$ startx -- :1

Cheers,