problems with starting garnome 0.24.2

Hi,

I have just managed to compile the "gnome-desktop" part of the Garnome
0.24.2 version. All the changes that I had to do, as instructed on
this mailing list, was to update the scripts to install newer versions
of the xft and xrender modules (to version 2.1.2 and 0.8.2
respectively) and comment out the hpux patch in the build Makefile for
libgtop.

In addition I changed the compiler from gcc-2.95 to gcc-3.3 about
midway, due to compilations errors for some new C "constructs" that
was not allowed with the older compiler.

But when I tried to start the new build Garnome desktop it fails
immediatly. At the end follows a description of the setup and what
happens.

Does anyone have an idea about what is going wrong?

I am using a woody installation with updated deb-files from
"http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian"; (mostly gcc and xfree86 updates).
In addition I also use the Gnome ver. 2.2 desktop as the default
desktop (with deb files from "deb http://mirror.raw.no/"; - a mirror of
the "evilgeniues.org" site).

All help is much appreciated.

best regards,
kmm

Created the ~/.xinitrc file with the following contents and made it
executable:

  #!/bin/sh

  GARNOME=/usr/local/hacks/garnome

  PATH=$GARNOME/bin:$PATH
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$GARNOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  PYTHONPATH=$GARNOME/lib/python2.2/site-packages
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
  GDK_USE_XFT=1
  export GARNOME PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH PYTHONPATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH GDK_USE_XFT

  # start
  exec $GARNOME/bin/gnome-session

Ran the "startx" command but instead of getting the gnome/garnome
desktop I got a pop-up window with the following text:

  The files that contain your preference settings are currently in
  use.

  You might be logged in to a session from another computer, and the
  other login session is using your preference setting files.

  You can continue to use the current session, but this might cause
  temporary problems wiht the preference settings in the other
  session.

  Do you want to continue?  LOG OUT | CONTINUE

Choosed CONTINUE and the I got a new pop-up window with the follwing
text:

  Please contact your system administrator to resolve the following
  problem:

  Could not resolve the address "xml:readonly:/gconf.xml.mandatory" in
  the configuration file
  "/usr/local/hacks/garnome/etc/gconf/2/path":Failed:
  Could not make directory '/gconf.xml.mandatory': Permission denied

At exit the following lines are shown at the end of the printout from
the "startx" command:

  Failed to unlink lock file /tmp/gconfd-kmm/lock/ior: No such file or
  directory
  gconf-sanity-check-2 did not pakk, logging back out

Checked this and the /tmp/gconfd-kmm/ directory are indeed emtpy.

In the $HOME directory the following files got created:

  .Xauthority	        empty
  .fonts.cache-1        26633 bytes, probably ok
  .gconf/               empty directory

The referenced directory "gconf.xml.mandatory" does exist at
"/usr/local/hacks/garnome/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory/" but is
empty.

The Garnome installation is owned by the same user that I tried to
start the desktop with.

Also the referenced "PYTHONPATH" directory in the ~/.xinitrc script
does not exist. Should it? The same is the case for the
"$GARNOME/lib/pkgconfig" directory. Should this also be there?