Re: mouse wheel scroll freezes gnome2 (and x)

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 20:01, Dan Dube wrote:
> > Do you have MS Windows fonts installed on your
> > system?
>
> yes, they are installed in /usr/share/fonts/truetype

Try removing the *.fon fonts.

> > Are you using the xfree driver or the nvidia driver?
>
> nvidia driver (through the debian nvidia-glx-src and
> nvidia-kernel-src packages)

I've had problems in the past with the nvidia drivers locking up on my
old RH7.3 (xfree-4.2) system. This is/was a known problem. I think that
it might be fixed in the latest versions. ??? I switched to using the nv
xfree driver in xfree-4.3 when I upgraded to RH9. The version in sarge
(1.0-3123) is pretty old (albeit stable from my experience)...you might
want to try upgrading to the latest version.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_archive

I would try removing the *.fon fonts first before trying to upgrade the
nvidia driver. I've tried both 1.0-4191 and 1.0-4349 and they
sucked...both locked up on RH9. Haven't tried the latest version
1.0-4363.

> > It's most likely either an X or fontconfig issue.
>
> do you know of any good documentation on how to use
> fontconfig?  i've been reading about it for a while,
> but don't quite understand how to configure it and
> maintain it.  my fonts are probably a mess...

http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html

Although, fontconfig is pretty automated so you probably don't need to
mess with it much if at all.

> also, does garnome install more fonts, or use the
> fonts for whatever distribution you are running?

Garnome uses the fonts supplied by your system. Although, in the latest
versions of garnome the ttf-bitstream-vera fonts are included as a
supplement to the fonts that are already supplied by your system.

Bob

--
Bob Kashani