Re: Epiphany won't start

On Sun, 2003-07-20 at 19:00, Bart Kuik wrote:
> After a 'make install' in meta/gnome-desktop (disabled the gtk-doc stuff
> because I couldn't get docbook working) and making the changes to my
> startup files, the Epiphany webbrowser won't start.
>
> My OS is Slackware 9.0 on a dual Celeron 333 w/ 512 MB RAM.
>
> I get these messages:
>
> -------------
>
> ** (epiphany-bin:1784): CRITICAL **: file ephy-automation.c: line 78
> (ephy_automation_new): assertion `factory != NULL' failed
>
> ** (epiphany-bin:1784): WARNING **: GConf error:
>   Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that
> you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS
> locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/
> for information. (Details -  1: IOR file '/home/bart2/.gconfd/lock/ior'
> not opened successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory 2:
> IOR file '/home/bart2/.gconfd/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no
> gconfd located: No such file or directory)
>
> (This GConf error repeats about 150 times)
>
> ** (epiphany-bin:1784): WARNING **: Couldn't create the factory!
> /--------------
>
> and finally I get a msgbox with this message:
>
> ------------
> Epiphany can't be used now. Running the command "bonobo-slay" from the
> console may fix the problem. If not, you can try rebooting the computer
> or installing Epiphany again.
>
> Bonobo couldn't locate the GNOME_Epiphany_Automation.server.
> /------------
>
> I recompiled Epiphany, GConf and ORBit, and couldn't find a way to
> enable TCP networking for ORBit with configure-options. I also did a
> 'which' on some core GNOME-binaries that were running to be sure I used
> them from $HOME/garnome/bin instead of /usr/bin (where Dropline GNOME
> is). I also did a 'su -c ldconfig'.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

To enable TCP in ORBit, edit your /etc/orbitrc and set
ORBIIOPIPv4=1

You can also set IPv6 to 1 if you need that.

The problem probably arises because you have a ~/.gconfd/lock/ior file.
This file points to the location of the gconfd. If you don't have a
gconfd running anywhere it should be save to remove the lock files with

rm -rf ~/.gconf*/*lock*

A new gconfd should then be started when it is needed.

Hope that helps
Jens