Re: getstr not found building vte

----- Original Message -----
From: "Danilo Segan" <dsegan gmx net>
To: "Guy Rouillier" <guy-rouillier speakeasy net>
Cc: "Garnome" <garnome-list gnome org>
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: getstr not found building vte

> Guy Rouillier wrote:
>
> > I encountered the subject problem doing a make install on
> > meta/gnome-desktop.  I searched the archives and found a message
from
> > Miro Schulze dated 12 Feb 2003 with the same problem.  Miro, if you
> > are watching the list, the issue is that the ncurses development
> > package is required.
> >
> > To others having similar difficulties, here is my list of things
> > required to build that I don't see listed in any of the garnome
> > references:
> >
> > ncurses
> > yacc
>
> Install the required development packages: it *is* listed as "sane GNU
> development chain" or something like that
>
> > xmkmf (from XFree86-devel
> >
> Are you maybe su-ing to root, and then doing "make install"? If you
> decide to not follow the instructions, all sorts of problems appear
> which you need a bit of experience to solve.
>
> Otherwise, install the generic X binary packages, and (if it is
> separate) X development packages.

Thanks for the reply.  No, I am not su-ing to root, I am running this
totally as a non-root user; I'm trying to follow instructions to the
best of my knowledge.  I didn't mean to sound complaining - garnome is a
phenomenal build process - I'm amazed at how everything just builds
itself.  I'm very new to it, however, and getting through it the first
time is challenging.  Obviously, once I've done it once, everything will
be in place and then doing it again will be easy.  I just posted this
message in case anyone else like Miro faces the same problems.  BTW, to
a newcomer, "sane development chain" doesn't really help a whole lot.
How could I tell from that that ncurses and yacc would be required?