Re: Few simple questions

yautja interia pl (yautja interia pl) wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've got some simple questions/comments:
>
> 1. Does anyone know, how to remove empty "Debian Menu" from "Applications" menu in GNOME2? I was thinking on setting "DontShowIfEmpty" to 1 but I can't find the .desktop file, that "Debian Menu" is in...
I think this is in the panel entries in /usr/share/gnome or something
like that.  It is _not_ a .desktop file that is all I know

> 2. Has anyone been trying to install garnome ("stable" 0.21.2) system-wide (with prefix=/usr)? I know, that it's not realy a good idea to do such thing but I've got a test Debian machine and I want to test Gnome 2.2 just that way. The problem is that garnome doesn't allow me to do this from some reasons (errors in configuring pkgconfig etc.). If someone was been experimenting with this please let me know.
I have it installed system-wide in /opt/gnome and the only issues I have
run into is pkgconfig not finding certain things in other directories,
like XFree86 from CVS has fontconfig.pc and Xft.pc, but puts them in
/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig/ and I need to symlink, or copy them into
/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig/ (after I comment out garnomes attempt to
compile Xft/fontconfig)

> 3. What do you think about adding garballs for AbiWord ang Agnubis to Gnome Office meta garball?
This sounds like a decent idea, abiword is large, and mostly CVS is the
best way to go for it, but I like the idea.
> 4. There is new Balsa 2.0.8 but it needs aspell over 0.50. That version is not included in most of distributions (well, Debian testing doesn't have it anyway ;-) ) so in next garnome release it would be nice to have a garball for new aspell too.
This just gets rediculous.  I want garnome to build gnome, that is all,
not Xft, not fontconfig, libesmtp is even pushing it (but I know it is
required for the newest balsa).  Debian testing doesn't have a 3 month
old version of aspell?  Something must be messed up somewhere.

> 5. Maybe garnome-multimedia garball? ;-) MPlayer + xmms + additional skins?

Like the idea, but MPlayer is tough to configure and xmms is not GNOME2.
I already have to mess with the Makefiles because I have no GNOME1 libs
(gtk-mist-engine, redhat-artwork).
--
Samuel Stringham