Fresh install - still fsck'd

I recompiled, reinstalled Garnome (0.21.2), 'rm -rf ~/.gnome2 && rm -rf
~/.gnome2_private', but my installation is still fsck'ed.

When I login, I get a dialog saying:

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds or background settings may not work
correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'."

I click on Close, and all I get is a black desktop, with no panel, no
Nautilus, no nothing.
The strange thing is, if I go back to the console, 'export DISPLAY=:0 ;
gconf-editor', GConfig Editor will show up in the desktop, which I think
means it CAN contact the "GNOME Settings Daemon". Even thou, the
following message appears in the console when I launch gconf-editor, and
in ~/.xsession-errors:

"** (process:1109): WARNING **: CORBA_ORB_destroy: ORB still has 2 refs.

** (process:1109): WARNING **: ORB: a total of 6 refs to 5 ORB objects
were leaked"

I searched Google, and found quite some people with the same problem,
but no solution.

Thanks for any help,
Daniel Serodio

--
Daniel Serodio <daniel checkforte com br>
CheckForte