Solaris 8/X86 and Garnome

I'm attempting to build Garnome using garnome-0.21.0 for Solaris 8/X86.

These are the issues I've found so far:

1) had to replace tar with gtar (since Solaris doesn't grok the -C gtar option) in gar.lib.mk

2) had to replace md5sum with gmd5sum in gar.lib.mk since I was consistently getting checksum errors, though for the life of me, when I manually do the checksum by hand it works. When I check the checksums by hand, and it still fails, I just touch the appropriate checksum-<file> in the directory and it goes on about it's business. Could this be a shell issue?

3) Hacked in some support to Xrender to get it to compile and build in Garnome under Solaris. This is pretty green and grody stuff, but I was more intersted in gettng Garnome further down the config line. Course, now I have to redo it because of a misplaced "gmake clean"

4) Manually had to patch the ot-scan.diff file in misc/fontconfig/work/fcpackage.2_1/fontconfig, and then had to go back a patch fccache.c and fcintl.h with the rejects. It was a bit weird, because there was only one reject file (fccache.c.rej), but the rejects were from both fccache.c and fcintl.h. I suspect that this may be a bug with Sun's patch. 5) had to replace make with gmake in the misc/freetype/Makefile so that it would build.
    A gmake flag made Solaris's make (/usr/ccs/bin/make) barf.

The gnu tools I'm using (from the www.blastwave.org archive) are:

gcc-2.95.3 (with Solaris linker /usr/ccs/bin/ld)
textutils-3.5beta2
gtar-1.3.25
gmake-3.79

and have compiled up the rest of the tools from the Garnome page to support the
Garnome installation.

Anyone seem some of these problems?

Thanks,

Ben