Re: A problem(?) with pthreads

Hi Carl,

Carl Krauthauser <carl UDel Edu> writes:

> I greatly appreciate your taking the time to respond to this!  Early on, I
> tried as you suggested, specifically, adding -lpthread. When I tried
> compiling, specifically, during the configuration checks, I would get a
> message saying that the 'cc' compiler was not working, and thus could
> not produce the executable binaries.  If I removed the specific library
> (ie.- -lpthread), everything would start compiling once again, although,
> we're back to where we started, as can be seen below:

I don't have much (actually any) experience with FreeBSD, but I may
try to help.

It seems as if adding pthread conflicts something else on the
system.  Have you taken a look into config.log and searched where it
fails to read the error message which ./configure otherwise hides?

Also, you may try the following little program to see what problem
might linking with pthread cause:

$ cat test.c
main () { return 0; }
$ gcc -o test -lpthread test.c
$ ldd test
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x40027000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4003d000)

(that's how it looks on a GNU/Linux system, it will most probably be
different on FreeBSD, except maybe on Debian GNU/KFreeBSD ;)

If it fails on gcc step, it will hopefully give some clue like why it
failed.

> Again, if I remove that "-lpthread", the config check passes, and
> everything moves forward, but I have the same problem as before.
>
> Any suggestions?

Instead of doing it GARNOME-wide, I'd suggest you add it only to the
place where you do need it.  pkg-config obviously borks with it at
configure time, and ORBit2 needs it, so you might want to add
relevant LDFLAGS to gnome/ORBit2/Makefile instead.

Still, I suspect many other modules will require linking against
libpthread, so this may prove to be time consuming.

Other tips would include relying on official FreeBSD Gnome ports at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/ (2.5.1 is already supported, as it
seems, through the ports tree).  Perhaps you can dig out some patches
there which actually help with your problem.

Marcus keeps a cvsweb of the CVS repository, so that's where you
might want to check for patches.

(I see Jeff just recommended this, but once more is not too much I hope ;)

Cheers,
Danilo