totem won't play movies and has sound issues

I'm trying to play movies (mpeg, mov) with totem compiled under
hacking-0.26.0 but I'm not having much luck.  Once I had to force quit
totem as it consumed all the processor and memory.  Another time I've
had a mpeg file play with no sound.

Mostly I just get the following error message:
	osscommon: Unable to open /dev/dsp (in use ?)

Suggestions? Something I'm doing wrong, or is this a bug and needs
reporting?

Rodd
--
"Some Australians have, I fear, become desensitised to habitual
government dishonesty. I'm not one of them."

                                    -- Andrew Wilkie, Former ONA analyst