Re: Garnome and Solaris 2.6 - X problems

Oh, don't get me wrong -- you're in for one huge pain in the butt getting Garnome going on any version of Solaris, much less an old one like 2.6, but it can be done.

The problem you're running into now is that xft makes assumptions about variable types defined in the X headers that aren't always correct when you're not using XFree.

/usr/openwin/include/X11/Xfuncproto.h includes this line:

Xfuncproto.h:#define _Xconst const

So, you can either try adding an "#include <X11/Xfuncproto.h>" line near the top of Xrender.h, or try "#define _Xconst const". Either should work.

That'll get you past *this* error, which is one of the easier ones to work around. :)

Sunil wrote:

when compiling the dependency 'xft', it spits out:

/home/sukumar/garnome/include/X11/extensions/Xrender.h:101:
error: parse error before "_Xconst"

all over the place. I reached 'pango' after so much
trouble with dependencies(resolved successfully) and
now I have a feeling that I am just getting started.

Any idea?

-Sunil

--- Patrick Morris <pmorris wilshire com> wrote:
No, it's not necessary.  Maybe if you posted the
errors you're getting, we could help walk you through 'em.

I've got a couple 2.6 machines with Garnome
installed (though not the latest version yet). it was no picnic, but it's
possible.

Sunil wrote:

Hi Everyone,

newbie questions: Is it necessary to install
XFree86
to enjoy gnome on solaris 2.6? Is the native X not
good enough for gnome? I can't seem to install the
XFree86 in my ~/garnome/ since it refuses to
compile
with gnu tools.

I don't want to screw the existing X setup. Any
ideas
about what is the right way of approaching this.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

-Sunil

Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site
design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-pkcs7-signature
name=smime.p7s
This message is intended only for the use of the
person(s) listed above as the intended recipient(s),
and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not read, copy, or distribute this message
or any attachment. If you received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message
and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary
(unencrypted) e-mail sent through the Internet is
not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive
information, such as social security numbers,
account numbers, personal identification numbers and
passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.