Re: RPM problem--trying to build Evolution 1.3.1

<quote who="Andy Summers">

> error: failed dependencies:
> 	libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)   is needed by pilot-link-0.11.7-1mdk
>
> So, I go and get glibc-2.3.2-2mdk.i586.rpm and try to install it, and I
> get this error:

This is when you stop playing with random RPMs and make sure you're
installing what's appropriate for your distribution version. You do *not*
want to upgrade glibc willy-nilly!

> So, I then search on the internet if I can get just the libc.so.6 file
> to put in the /lib directory.

AAAAARGH!

> I then realize that I ALREADY have this file in my /lib directory on my
> computer.

Otherwise your system simply would not run. The C library is a very
important part of your operating system. :-)

> My question is really, why does the pilot-link rpm not recognize the fact
> that I DO have libc.so.6 on my computer?  Thanks for any ideas, or help.

The pilot-link package you're trying to install is meant for a newer version
of the distribution that what you've got. Either a) upgrade your distro or
b) find a version of pilot-link for the exact version of the distro you are
running.

      "I'm offering you my body, and you're offering me semantics." -
                              Caitlin, Clerks