Installing gnome 2 from local bz2 files

Hi,
I'm a novice and have some problem to try to install gnome 2 from local
files. I acquired a magazine with a cd with sources of gnome 2. Now I would
like to install gnome 2 with these and not with the download the files from
the ftp or http. I follow the readme instructions and modified the gar config
files and added the line file:///home/downloads/garnome (where I copied
the bz2 source files). After to try, I went on atk directory and type make
install and obtained the follow message:

mkdir download

  ==> Grabbing download/atk-1.0.2.tar.bz2

         ==> Trying file//files/atk-1.0.2.tar.bz2

make[1]: *** [file//files/atk-1.0.2.tar.bz2] Error 1

         ==> Trying http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/2.0.0/sources/atk/atk-1.0.2.tar.bz2

And final obtain an error message.
In what mode I can do so the system know that I have these files on my hard
disk? And also, where I can install the gnome 2 system so all the user can
see that? I installed garnome-0.12.0 under the home directory and do all
these operation under the root.
Thanks,

Marco Mangiante