Re: redhat 7.3 and garnome

Hi Trenten,

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:36:52 -0400
"Trenten R. Healy" <trh gwu edu> wrote:

> Hi I am a newb to linux and unfamiliar with the instructions on the garnome
> website about chaning the path in order to boot into garnome when it is done
> building. Can anyone help explain what i should do when garnome is done
> building? I am using the latest version of garnome, and redhat 7.3. If any one
> has any helpful suggestions I appreciate it!

What I normally do is set these:

export GDK_USE_XFT=1
export PATH=$PATH:/path/to/garnome/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/garnome/lib
startx /path/to/garnome/bin/gnome-session

On some machines where I don't run gdm, I put the above into bash login
script:

case "`tty`" in
/dev/tty[0-9]+)
	whiptail --yesno "Do you want to start GNOME 2.0?" 9 50
	if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
		export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gnome/bin
		export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gnome/lib
		export GDK_USE_XFT=1
		startx /opt/gnome/bin/gnome-session
	fi
	;;
esac

and I don't bother with ~/.xsession or ~/.xinitrc primarily for personal
reasons.

Cheers
Bill Sidhipong                                         main:   949 341-1900
Systems Administrator                                  fax:    949 341-1901
AXYS Design Automation, Inc.                           direct: 949 341-1931
1 Jenner Drive, Suite 260                              mobile: 949 887-6865
Irvine, CA 92618                                 mailto:  bs axysdesign com
http://www.axysdesign.com