Turn off dependency checking?

I realize this is more of a GAR question than a GARNOME question, but in the interest of saving time, how can one temporarily turn off package dependency checking? It's frustrating every time I fix something to have to go back and wait another half hour while dependencies get checked (and rechecked and rechecked) when doing a top-level make in meta/gnome-desktop.

Thanks!

Larry
(still compiling the list of Sun/gcc-3.2 issues for GNOME 2.0.x/GARNOME 0.14.x)