Re: Using GARNOME for different users

<quote who="Sandeep Khanna"/>

> So I wanted to run GARNOME as a 'test' user. I created a test user and
> moved the /home/sandeepk/garnome directory to /home/test/ directory but
> was unable to start GARNOME this time !!!
>
> A quick look at 'test' user's ".xsession-errors" file told me that
> GARNOME was still referring to stuff from my original home directory
> garnome installation (/home/sandeepk/garnome) !!!

That's how *nix software works. You simply can't do that.

> What is going on here? Do I need to recompile as user 'test' or
> something else?

You can:

  a) set the permissions on your original user's ~/garnome directory so that
  other users can use it. On most systems, this will already be the case, so
  just have the second users start GNOME from there.

  b) if you're worried about permissions, rebuild into /usr/local/garnome
  and make sure the permissions allow everyone to run/read it (should be
  fine by default).

  c) rebuild GARNOME for every user. This is mind-blowingly stupid, please
  don't do it.

    "I'm just mucking round down the shallow end of the literary pool, I
                          suppose." - Mick Molloy