garnome 0.18.3 no longer not buildable on current Debian Sid

Howdy!

I've successfully build 0.18.3 a few days ago and got it up and running
with relatively little hassle (running fc-cache as root was the tricky
part). Yesterday I decided to make my own opinion on those ugly eye
straining AA fonts in the terminal. I went back to the gnome-terminal
garball, copied the Makefile.vte over Makefile and then make clean;
make install. I got a mysterious error from libtool not being able
to determine library name from ''. Hmmm.
I unpacked 0.18.3 to a fresh directory, copied gar.conf.mk over and
tried a clean install. Still no luck:

creating ./config.status
Usage: ./config.status [--recheck] [--version] [--help]
make[5]: *** [configure-work/pkgconfig-0.13.0/configure] Error 1

Now I recall that I've done a package upgrade yesterday morning and
some devel packages were upgraded. Here are the versions of auto tools
and other basic stuff:

autoconf       2.54-2
automake       1.4-p6-2
autotools-dev  20020905.1