(garnome-0.18.3) pango needs -lXext, and gtk+ configure problem

Hello:

Yesterday i submited a message with a problem compiling pango. I think that
the problem was in the Makefile of pango :
~/garnome/gnome/pango/work/pango-1.1.2/Makefile

It's needed a "-lXext" to compile it. I added it to LIBS (because i wasn't
sure about where was the correct place (variable) to add it.) and then it can
be compiled.

Now i have another problem:

When configuring gtk+ the configure script shows the following message:

checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
configure: error: *** libX11 not found. Check 'config.log' for more details.

This happens when i use (cd ~/garnome-0.18.3/meta/gnome-desktop; make
install).
But a few lines before configure finds the correct path:

checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include

And if i go to ~/garnome-0.18.3/gnome/gtk+/work/gtk+
and put ./configure there is no problem and gtk+ can be configured without any
problem, so i think that probably three must be an error whe calling
configure during the normal proccess. I saw the Makefile of gtk+:

~/garnome-0.18.3/gnome/gtk+/Makefile

and i only found this:

CONFIGURE_SCRIPTS = $(WORKSRC)/configure

and:

CONFIGURE_ARGS = $(DIRPATHS)

I suppose that the problem is in CONFIGURE_ARGS, but i'm not sure, and
I don't know where it's called so i don't solve the problem.

Why it can't find Xlib11???

Can someone solve the problem? Can someone tell me where is it called?

thank you!