LFS (was Re: bind_textdomain_codeset error while building gnomevfs)

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> These problems have almost entirely been with homebrew systems (distros with
> large chunks built from source, slackware, and the horrendous abortion that
> is LFS).

Whoa! Them's is harsh words :-)

I'm currently using it on LFS3.3 and it's been fine, the issues I have
are not unique as they've been mentioned on this list as being global
issues. (PythonXML, failure of sawfish to save settings etc)

In fact I'd say that once the dependencies have been satisfied, there
have been less agonies than some of the other distributions ( judging
from the "me too's").

That's not to say that it's been a stroll in the park either, but
compared to installing Gnome1.4 from source this has been a breeze.

Gnome 2 is turning out to be a very nice package and the work that has
been put into Garnome has made that package very easy to use.

Now it's your turn to say a nice word about LFS :-)   Hmmm - Nope!
better not overdo it, one smiley will have to do.

I guess LFS attracts everyone from incompetent to expert and you only
hear from the raw and uncut end?  I, of course, am an Ummm ...
somewhere in the middle? ( I hope that translates as suitably humourous)

--
Cheers
Glenn

Marriage Ceremony:  An incredible metaphysical sham of watching God and the
law being dragged into the affairs of your family.
-- O. C. Ogilvie