Re: bind_textdomain_codeset error while building gnomevfs

<quote who="Graham Ashton">

> I find that setting LDFLAGS, PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH and re-running
> configure and make manually (as described in one of your earlier posts)
> from work/gnome-vfs-1.9.15 has absolutely no effect, however.

GARNOME handles all of those variables as it's building though, so it should
never make a difference.

> I started out with gettext 0.10.35 installed, which doesn't define
> bind_textdomain_codset, so I removed it and upgraded to 0.11.2. I then
> checked to see if bind_textdomain_codeset was defined anywhere, but it
> appears to be in libintl.so, not libgettextlib.so:

0.10.40 is what you want.

> > What works for me is the painful way
> > when the build stops:
> > - open terminal 2
> > - make sure $(prefix)/bin is in the PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains
> >   $(prefix)/lib and LDFLAGS=/opt/gnome2/lib/libgettextlib.so is set
> > - get ./configure arguments from config.log
> > - make clean, reconfigure, make, make install
> > - continue make install in terminal 1
>
> I followed that to the letter. No joy.

It shouldn't - that's exactly what GARNOME does, you just don't have to type
it.

> I'm running Trustix 1.5 (based on Red Hat 7.x -- I forget what x is),
> though most stuff has been compiled from source (recently), including
> GNOME 1.4.

These problems have almost entirely been with homebrew systems (distros with
large chunks built from source, slackware, and the horrendous abortion that
is LFS).

> P.S. What is a garball, exactly? Is it one of the directories that
> contains a package?

Yeah. :-)

I want to fix this issue, because the whole point of GARNOME is to make
building GNOME 2.0 easy, but I don't have these issues myself, and I haven't
had much help from someone who has (I usually get flamed).

If you'd like to help out, come to #garnome sometime, and let's see if we
can nail it.

   "Can we have a special TELSABUG category, and everything gets dropped
                     to fix them first?" - Telsa Gwynne