a few questions about 0.9.8

Yesterday I got around to upgrade my iBook to 0.9.8, maybe someone can
help me on therse remaining questions:

- There's still the XSETTINGS bug when launching apps from the
commandline (still no idea what this means and how to fix it)

- I doesn't work to set my system font / gtk theme (with the capplet)
there's simply no response when I click around

- My applications-menu seems to be merged with the one from gnome 1.4
although they live in completely different locations

(-) is there a way to get my translucent panel back? ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Robert