From: Soundsop <soundsop sympatico ca>
To: garnome-list gnome org
Subject: gtk+ configure error
Date: 03 Apr 2002 22:59:49 -0500

Hi,

The GARNOME 0.8.6 build dies during the configure portion of gtk+2.01.
It complains about the pango library even though the pango library seems
to build fine in an earlier step.

Here's the last part of the console output:

checking for pango_context_new in -lpango-1.0... no
configure: error:
*** Can't link to Pango. Pango is required to build

I looked in the "config.log" in the gtk+ build directory and retried, by
hand, the "conftest.c/confdefs.h" that fails compilation in the
"checking for pango_context_new" test above. If I add "-L/usr/X11R6/bin
-lX11 -lXft -lXrender -lXext" to the compilation flags generated by
configure, the compilation completes cleanly ("-I/usr/X11R6/include" is
already there).

Is this an error in how the pango flags are set up, or should the
default flags work (i.e. is my setup somehow broken)? My ld.so.conf file
does contain "/usr/X11R6/lib" although I'm not exactly sure what that
means to the linker. Any suggestions for fixes is greatly appreciated.

I'm running Redhat 7.2 + Ximian. I got python2.2 from the rpms in the
Redhat beta for 7.3 (in
<ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/>).

-Thanks