Re: garnome-list digest, Vol 1 #57 - 9 msgs

Yeah same here, so here is how I got it to work :)

1. Go to /etc/X11/wmsession.d
There you will find 01KDE 02Gnome (and anything else you may have)
I copied 02Gnome into 03Gnome2
Modified the file appropriatly (Name=Gnome2, Desc ,,, ect... )
You will notice that at the end of the file It executes a script /usr/bin/startgnome
make it startgnome2 instead, that leads us to step #2

2. Go to /usr/bin, copy startgnome into startgnome2, modify it as you like, all I did was all the following to the end of the file.
# Garnome specific
PATH=$HOME/garnome/bin:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/garnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
GDK_USE_XFT
export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT
exec $HOME/garnome/bin/gnome-session

3. The go to /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
Look for "SessionTypes="  Add Gnome2 in the correct order,,
so mine has
SessionTypes=KDE,Gnome,Gnome2,failsafe,default
Since our wmsession file was 03Gnome2, I put Gnome2 as the third choice.

That's it, restart X ( or the machine ,, I don't really know ) and bask in the luxury that is Garnome :)

-  - -- ----  ----------------------------------------- --- -- -   -
Ahmad Baitalmal
BitBuilder
web: http://www.bitbuilder.com
-  - -- ----  -------------------------------------------------------------- --- -- -   -

On Sun, 2002-06-02 at 22:34, Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Michael Dewey">

> Hi:  I have Mandrake 8.2 and I have installed garnome 0.10.1 and now
> I want to get it started.

Mandrake do some C-r-A-z-Y stuff with their startup scripts for X. It took
me ages to work it out when I was using a Mandrake box the other day.

I think what I ended up doing was putting DESKTOP=default into ~/.desktop
(perhaps the variable wasn't DESKTOP, but it was originally set to 'Gnome').
Through wild permutations and contraptions, that seemed to run .xsession. I
think.

Ahem.

I tried following the various scripts, but it was like chasing an energetic
puppy reared on high quality speed around a maniacal clown-killer theme
park.

Ahem.

      "Are you XFire's crazy girlfriend? And if so, shine on you crazy
                          diamond!" - Paul Cameron