Intallation problem - panel errors

I just installed garnome on RedHat 7.3.  I'm using
KDM; had some difficulty gettin Xsession set up right
for gnome2.  I think I've got that set up, but when I
start gnome2 (with a fresh user id), I get two
problems:

1.  No panels display.  I just have the three icons on
the upper left., and an otherwise blank desktop.

2.  When I start the file manager (Nautilus?), I get a
lot of panel error messages, like 'the history panel
encountered an error.  You might consider disabling
this panel if the problem persists.'

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?  Is a Gnome2
startup log or something I can look at for error
messages, other bread crumbs?

Thanks!

Steve
smolitor817 yahoo com