KDE crashing on startup

Hey, folks. I have Gnome compiling & running wonderfully, but I've run
into some trouble trying to use Gar's KDE.

Everything compiles fine, but when I start KDE, it dumps me at a blank
grey screen after running through the loading dialog. Redirecting
stderr from startx to a file, I get the following:

<snip normal x stuff>
DCOPServer up and running.
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kbuildsycoca path = <unknown> pid = 305
kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
kio (KLauncher): ERROR: KLauncher: KDEInit communication error!
Commiting suicide!
Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
---------------------------------
It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
that it is not already running, remove /root/.DCOPserver_mudgloss__0
and start dcopserver again.
---------------------------------

KDE Daemon (kded) already running.
kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype KDEDModule
not found
---------------------------------
It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
that it is not already running, remove /root/.DCOPserver_mudgloss__0
and start dcopserver again.
---------------------------------

WARNING: Already running!
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unexpected signal 2

waiting for X server to shut down
* * *

I'm running debian unstable, no login manager, and am using the
following .xinitrc:

 PATH=/opt/garnome/bin:$PATH
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/garnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT=1
 export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT
# exec /opt/garnome/bin/gnome-session
 export KDEDIR=/opt/gargnome/
 export PREFERRED=/opt/garnome/bin/startkde
 exec startkde

I used g++-3.1 and gcc-3.1 to compile.

Additionally, I have the kde3 .debs from kde3.genuiussystems.net
installed, which work fine. Is it possible there's some sort of
conflict w/ them and garnome? I've tried running garnome's KDE first
thing after a reboot, so know it's not anything residual hanging around
from having run deb's KDE.

Any ideas?

Much thanks,
erin