Re: rpm2cpio fails on redhat-artwork build for fifth toe

Jeff Waugh wrote:

<quote who="George J Karabin">

When building the fifth toe, redhat-artwork fails when I use the provided rpm2cpio perl script. Replacing it with the rpm2cpio binary provided by Redhat 8.0 solves the problem. Any ideas why the script isn't working?

No, but it doesn't seem to work on RH8. No idea why. Could you please look
into it further? I don't have an RH8 box handy.

- Jeff

After a quick look, it appears that the script is looking for a magic number at the wrong offset into the rpm file. Looking at the file in hex shows that the data is there. My first guess is that the "read" calls are reading out more bytes than requested - looking at the file pointer (instrumenting the code with the "tell" function) makes it seem like it's moving along further than I would have thought. I'm not too familiar with using perl this way though, so I might not be grokking it.

Anyway, Redhat's using perl 5.8.0. I wonder if something has changed since 5.6.x? Are you using 5.8.x, or something else?