RE: fontconfig - not all fonts available in Gnome2?

<quote who="Rolf Kulemann">

> Now, since I execed fc-cache as root with garnome env, only some fonts
> are available, but all directories are listed in fonts.cache-1 file.
>
> i.e. subir TTF is listed and contains tahoma.ttf in fonts.cache-1 file
> and in subdir TTF a string "tahoma" is in fonts.cache-1 in that subdir.
> But i can not choose tahoma at all.
>
> Any ideas?

There were one TTF file in dir /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF with no read permission for group and others.
After granting read permission for that file(tahoma.TTF) and executing "fc-cache -f" as root - with garnome env set -
the missing fonts got available in gnome2.
I'm wondering why all fonts of that dir were not available although only read permission of a single file was not set.

Another crazy thing is that those fonts - including the tahoma one - were available in gnome-1.4.
I expected tahoma not being available because of no read permission.

I know all this sounds confusing, but so it happened on my system.
So, if one wonders about not having fonts available in garnome+fontconfig should check read permissions of the appropriate files.

-- Rolf Kulemann

Necessity is a mother.