Error during configure of Pkgconfig

I am trying to build using garnome-0.18.3. I have attempted to search
the mailing list archive but have been unable to find anything related
to this problem.

When garnome tries to configure pkgconfig-0.13.0, the following error
occurs:

 ==> Running configure in work/pkgconfig-0.13.0
configure: warning: /bin: invalid host type
configure: warning: /sbin: invalid host type
configure: error: can only configure for one host and one target at a
time

After that, the whole build aborts.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? I should note
that in gar.conf.mk I set prefix ?= ~/gnome2/garnome.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rick