Re: Packaging the compile

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 14:22, Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
> Since everything gets put in $HOME/garnome by default, I just cd home and
> do a tar cjvf garnome.tar.bz2 garnome from $HOME and use that.
>
> I don't know if this is the Right Way To Do It, but it's what I do.

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Rick Fleming wrote:
>
> > Just wondering, after I do a build of garnome, is there
> > an easy way (possibly a command line on make?)
> > to package up (either debian or tar zip) the binaries
> > so if I were to reformat my machine I could 'reinstall' it
> > without recompile?
> >
> > Another way to ask is, should tar & zipping the entire
> > output garnome folder directly after compile work?
> >
> > The 'reinstall' would be on the same machine with
> > the same basic installation (debian).

I've done it like this several times, and it works just fine.  The only
thing I would add is that if you do it this way, make sure you're
installing into the same directory, because a lot of the files in etc
will be looking there.  Of course you could also edit all of these files
or make a symlink.

Brian