Installing garnome 0.19.3 on Mandrake 8.2

Hi. This is my first go at installing Garnome. I'm trying to install on
Mandrake 8.2 and so far my install is falling down on attempting to
install libgnomeprint - the problem appears to be with CUPS. I'm
perfectly happy to just disable CUPS support, as printing isn't a big
deal, this is just a test installation to play with and submit bug
reports on.

I'm not a hacker --- I'm a web developer, have about 12 years UNIX
experience , program in PHP and Javascript, and do a lot of XML
development work, but definitely not a proper hacker --- and so normally
use RPM to maintain my system these days, so I'm a little unfamiliar
with working with Makefiles etc. The main reasons for wanting to install
Garnome were the obvious one of wanting to play with the new features
without destroying my work environment, and the more worthy one of
wanting to contribute to the bug day gatherings on Thursdays.

If someone would like to hold my hand through editing the various
Makefiles in order to get Garnome to install on Mandrake 8.2 I'd be very
grateful.

I've created a user garnome and installed garnome in ~garnome, and set
up ~garnome/.xsession as described on the web page.

TIA.

Best,

Darren

P.S. I'm sure this is a really dumb question but is it safe to delete
~garnome/garnome-0.19.3/ after a succesful install into
~garnome/garnome/ ?

D. D. Brierton            darren dzr-web com           www.dzr-web.com