Re: n00bie

Hi,

To change desktops you can run switchdesk while in kde or gnome.

To set up xdm or gdm temporarily run /sbin/telinit 5 (as root). You can get back to console mode by running /sbin/telinit 3 or rebooting.

To use gdm permanently edit /etc/inittab (as root) and change:

id:3:initdefault:

id:5:initdefault:

save and then reboot. *Only* do this if everything was OK using telinit.

You should then be able to follow the instructions on the garnome webpage.

Cheers,
Martin

victor wrote:
hello, i have seen the beautiful gnome 2 screenshots, i have installed
garnome succesfully, i want to use it. i read the little after
installation thingie here:
http://gnome.org/start/2.0/installation.html#upgrading

first of all i don't know how to exit GNOME 1.x sessions, is this where
you are preseented with the login screen again as in when you bootup
your computer and after xwindows starts it shows the windowmanager?

i have anothe problem, my login interface is not "(This assumes you are
using gdm as your interface to log into GNOME. If you are starting X
from a command prompt — using startx — then just put the above lines
into your $HOME/.xinitrc file.)"

i made kde my login interface - even though i use gnome almost
exclusively, i don't know why, don't ask me, i'd be happy to make gdm as
my login interface if someone tells me how.

i also want the smooth fonts to work i would apreciate if someone would
help me with getting garnome as the desktop interface on my computer. i
am running a redhat 7.3 english and i have all packages exept "laptop"
installed.
please, please help, i have seen people use this gnome 2.0.1 and i know
it's possible! tahnks
- vic