My Problems(!)

Perhaps someone on this list can help, before I have to go back to Gnome 1.4 :/

First of all I should say that I don't use Gnome as my session- or window
manager. I use Windowmaker only. I do use Gnome for other apps, eg
gnome-terminal and Pan, so really I'll only use the Gnome libraries and stuff.

I uninstalled all my previous Gnome 1.4 packages, and installed Gnome 2.0.1 by
using Garnome 0.13.1 (I had installed it by hand, as directed by
http://www.karubik.de/gig/2.0/index.html, but the exact same problems occur).
Everything went OK and I created a new user just to test that everything worked,
so the user 'test' had nothing in its home dir. I put 'exec gnome-session' in
~/.xinitrc and started X. The grey X screen came up with the 'x' pointer in the
middle of the screen, and I waited. About thirty seconds later, Gnome appeared.
(It's a 1.1GHz CPU and 'top' showed the CPU as idle, so why there was this long
delay, I don't know...).

No window manager started. I wasn't too concerned about that because I'll be
using just Windowmaker with my normal user.

I ran gnome-terminal and it appeared. I changed the colours to white on black,
closed gnome-terminal, and ran gnome-terminal again. A white-on-black
gnome-terminal appeared, as expected. I also changed the desktop background to
that grey slatey pattern.

I shut Gnome down and started X again. Again, a thirty second pause,and my
desktop background had gone back to the default black. I ran gnome-terminal, but
my settings had disappeared and the default black on yellowish gnome-terminal
appeared.

I compiled an app against Gnome 2 - Pan. I entered my newsgroup preferences and
loaded some groups. I closed Pan, started it again, but my newsgroup settings
had disappeared. The same thing happens with gnome-volume-control. I set all the
levels right and mute somethings, but the next time I start Gnome, they're back
to default settings! It's as if none of the settings for any Gnome 2 app stay
after I close it down.

I logged in as my normal user, the one that just uses Windowmaker. I ran
gnome-terminal from it, as I normally do, but that 30 second delay was there
again. If there's a gnome-terminal already running, other gnome-terminals will
start straight away.

I have asked the Gnome mailing list, Pan mailing list, and X newsgroup, and the
only feedback I had was that it might be a certain missing line in a file
installed by Gconf, but I checked and it was there. I even reinstalled Gconf,
and then uninstalled and installed a previous version of it, but with no luck :(

So to sum, the two problems I have are that the first Gnome thing that a user
starts takes 'ages' to appear, and that none of the settings in Gnome apps
stick.

Somebody please, help :)

--

.