root priviledged software access in X

Hi,

I have Mandrake 8.2 + Gnome 1.4 + IceWM

Recently, I noticed that I was not able to use any of the root priveledged utilities like Mandrake Control center, rpmdrake, etc. Usually, it used to present me with a dialog box to enter the root password and then would proceed depending upon the correct password. What was happening was that, I could briefly see the password dialog and it would disappear. The entry in /var/log/messages is as follows... (This is for Mandrake control center)

Aug 5 17:24:10 sandeepk drakconf(pam_unix)[18904]: auth could not identify password for [root]

and, this is for rpmdrake:
Aug 5 17:28:45 sandeepk rpmdrake(pam_unix)[18944]: auth could not identify password for [root]

Wonder what's going on?

I had Mozilla, galeon, apache cooker packages installed. I uninstalled them and reinstalled the original back thinking that it might solve the problem. If only they really did cause the problem !!

Hope someone can answer this.

Thanks in advance,
Sandeep

--
Sandeep Khanna
Professional Software Developer

Quote of the day:
Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.
Bill Bradley